The Government Equalities Office leads work on policy relating to women, sexual orientation and transgender equality, and is responsible for a range of equalities legislation.
We are responsible for:
- improving equality and reducing discrimination and disadvantage for all in the UK; improving people’s life chances at work, and in public and political life
- taking the lead on the Equality Act 2010 and being the lead department on gender, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues in government, including the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, and the Civil Partnership Act 2004
- supporting and implementing international equality measures in the UK, including our international commitments to:
- the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action
- the European Union strategic engagement for gender equality 2016 - 2019
About this blog
We use this blog to think out loud, and let the world know what we're doing. If you have comments or questions, please get in touch via our contact form, or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Instagram.